Hey, sugar!
I hope your week has gotten off to a smooth and productive start. Monday’s can be manic, but I know you’ve already got things planned out and you are ready to slay your goals!

So, let’s jump right into this week’s chat! WARNING……..This one is a little lengthy. 

Last week, we talked all about what your business cards are for and what you need to include on yours. Now what? Well, that’s actually a great question.
Now that you know what you need on your business card, it’s time to design that thing and make it look…

I’m sure you’re wondering why that matters. Well, it matters because you don’t want people to look at your card and chunk it in the trash! There’s nothing like getting a business card that looks all *meh*. We all know those cards go straight in the trash can without a second thought.

You see, when you’re designing your card, you have to remember that you may not be the one handing it out. If that’s the case, your card is the only impression of your business that a person will have. If you’re like me, you have cards in various places to help get your name out there. (We’ll talk more about that next week.) So, you have to make sure that your design is top notch so that you capture the attention of the person looking at it. You want to go home with them. Well, you don’t, but you want your business card to.

Well, how are you supposed to do that? I’m so glad you asked!

Now that you know what you want to include on your card, you need to think about how you want your card to look. This is where things like colors, fonts and graphics come in to play. If you’re someone who has branding in place, you’re already ahead of the game. This means you’ve got colors and fonts all picked out. If not, it doesn’t have to be a traumatizing task.

The goal is to make sure that your business card looks good and doesn’t end up heading to that big, lonely trash receptacle in the office, or the kitchen, or the bathroom, or on the street, or wherever. 

You can do this by remembering a few things:

1. Don’t have your cards looking like you printed them at home with two minutes notice, while you were cooking dinner, doing laundry, and watching TV. This is one of the most traumatizing things you could possibly do! If your card looks like one of those old school, perforated cards that everyone used to make back in the day, or like you let a toddler design it (unless your business has to do with toddlers) there’s a 99% chance IT’S GOING STRAIGHT IN THE TRASH! That other 1% won’t trash your card, but they’ll stick it somewhere so it will be forgotten and, eventually, it’ll go in the trash.

2. Make sure that your design fits with your business. Whether you’re a florist, a designer, an agent, a painter, a carpenter, a dog walker, whatever. Your card should convey that. No one wants to see a mechanic’s card with roses on it. The two just don’t go together like that.

3. Keep your look cohesive. A busy card is a bad card. You want to be catchy enough to look good, but simple enough for your information to stand out and not fade into the background.

4. While a busy card is a bad card, a bland card is even worse. No, you don’t want busy, but you don’t want boring either. You have to find a happy medium for your card. Remember, what works for one business may not work for you. THAT IS OK! You aren’t that business. Your business is your business and that’s what your card needs to show.

5. Make sure your editing is ON POINT! There is nothing worse that errors on business card. That sends the impression that you aren’t one who pays attention to detail and nobody wants sloppy work. Poor editing almost guarantees that your card is headed to the trash can.

6. Keep your colors comfy. What I mean by that is don’t have a harsh combination of colors that glares at potential clients. No one wants to feel assaulted by a business card. Take the time to make sure that your colors are cohesive and professional. You want your look to be pleasing to the eye NOT an eye sore.

I know I gave you a lot, but I want you to be well informed so that you can be as successful as possible.

Remember, the goal is to keep your card out of the trash and fresh on the minds of anyone who sees them. You want your card to say, “TAKE ME. USE ME. DO BUSINESS WITH ME.”

I hope this week’s tips help you create a winning business card!
And, remember, if design isn’t your thing or if you just need some help making sure that your design is dynamite, visit me here and let’s work together to tailor a card that will keep your business card out of the trash can and your business ahead of the game.

Until next week…